Saturday, May 10, 2014

TMNT Coloring 30th Anniversary Tribute

Can you believe that it has been 30 years since the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles first appeared?

TMNT burst on the scene in 1984 and at first glance changed the way I saw art, comics, cartoons, character design and the potential of becoming an independent creative forever.

I was pretty into the Turtles in the 80s and well into the 90s but I always preferred the original Eastman & Laird Mirage Comics Series.  I hold nothing against the colored bandannas, the first letter name belts, and the pizza party cowabunga personas but there was something magnetic about the band of brothers / none is greater than the collective metaphor of the whole team wearing red bandannas for me.

To this day I love the line quality and inking style of the Eastman/Laird combo, and the more focused intensity of those comics. They felt like warriors and I enjoyed the ride that the creators took us on.  I was lucky enough to find a sweet black and white JPEG from TMNT #6

SOURCE

I decided I wanted to to a coloring test on this and post the progress of it as both an exercise and a tribute to one of the most exciting and influential series in my artistic development.  Thanks Pete and Kevin for 30 years of inspiring work!  PS. Thanks Stan Sakai for your 30 years of Usagi Yojimbo too!  You Rock!

 Getting Started...




About " "

Artist, cartoonist, illustrator, graphic designer, husband and father with a hearty laugh and a BFA from College for Creative Studies (CCS) in Animation and Digital Media. Currently working at RTT in Royal Oak, MI as a Retoucher.
 
Copyright © 2014 DW2 Art Productions